Monday, January 3, 2011

Britain being Britain...

... I haven't had internet access the last few days because there is no such thing as a free ride in this country.  Every 'free' wireless hotspot is in fact simply a portal from which you can either log in to your existing BT, Orange or other account, or pay many many pounds for minimal access.  Owen, being resident in a college has only secured access to the internet available which does not afford him the opportunity to share with guests, so I'm making a quick entry on his notebook before going to bed.

I've been in Oxford for a couple of days now.  All very ancient, pretty and somewhat interesting in the context of a very brief visit.  Pictures to follow when I have more time and access.  I have to be up quite early tomorrow to catch a bus back to London, thence to Kings Cross to catch a train to Edinburgh.  I'll be there until at least the 10th.  From then the plan is either to return to Oxford until I fly out on the 12th, or possibly to extend the visit to Scotland another day if I still have things to do and fine weather to do them in.

From there it's overnight in a hotel near JFK then the long, hopefully entirely Qantas this time, flight home via LA.  All going well I should be back Saturday 15th by lunch time.  As expected, I'm very much looking forward to my own bed and a few days of not having to do anything or be anywhere, not having to think about exchange rates or understanding accents of languages etc. etc. etc.  Strangely enough, I'm already missing the cold of Montreal, so I'm not sure how I'll cope with summer, but cope I will no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment