Friday, January 7, 2011

Edinburgh Castle on Cold and Flu medication

Gave in and bought some lemsip capsules this morning.  Don't know if we've started doing this in Australia, but here, like the US, they seem quite happy to stick caffeine in their pills and potions.  The combination of the usual ingredients plus caffeine seemed to be enough to get me up and going with a little more enthusiasm today.

Had a coffee then walked up to the Castle.  It's quite a place.  Though like many historical sites I've visited over the years, it's nowhere near as big as it seems on TV.  The car park area where the military Tattoo is held each year is actually tiny.  I have no idea how they fit everything in.  The stands are either much smaller than I thought or the whole things looks bigger in the dark on camera.  The following are looking away from the castle and towards it.  As well as being quite small, it's also on quite a significant slope.



Very interesting place though.  Particularly having taken an interest in the period of history from Elizabeth through to the Restoration in England, it has been fascinating to see the Scottish side of things during the same period.

Some magnificent views of the city and surrounds from inside.





Finished at the Castle around 2pm and headed back down the hill to the hotel.  Had thought about heading straight down to Holyrood to climb Arthur's Seat, but I figured it was probably the caffeine thinking for me.  Decided to take a bit of a break.  Did end up walking down for a look, but given how late it was getting I didn't think I'd make it up and back before dark.  Besides which, if I want to be able to see the city from the tope I'd be better of going in the morning.  Will see what the weather is like at the weekend and perhaps go then.



Something that is hard to appreciate until you're here is how short the days are.  Despite not looking forward to the summer heat and humidity when I get home, I'm really looking forward to longer days.  The photo above was taken at 3pm.  It was all but completely dark by 5.  As well as the short days is the fact that the sun is so low in the sky.  The following was taken at midday.


I'm heading out on a bus trip to edge of the highlands tomorrow which includes a visit to the Dewars distillery, my first taste of whisky since getting to Scotland.  Quite looking forward to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment