Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Edinburgh first impressions

Was still completely buggered when I woke up this morning, but I got myself moving and went for a walk up the hill and around town.  It's still a bit damp and grey, but then I am in Scotland in winter :)

The thing which has made biggest immediate impression on me is the sheer array of very old buildings.  I'm staying in the 'old' city.  The new part of the city is down the hill, on the other side of Princes St, and is new only in the sense that the majority of the buildings are from around the time of the European settlement of Australia.

Plenty more to see, but I'll be taking my time again I think.  I seem to be getting a bit of cold, which either explains my tiredness or is explained by my tiredness.  Tomorrow I think I'll have a wander around the National Gallery and take one of the walking tours around the old city.  Thursday is looking fine, so I might have a look at Holyrood Palace and the surrounding area.

Friday I might see if I can get myself onto a tour bus to see Loch Lomond.  If for no other reason than how amusing I find it to be able to take a day trip to the other side of the country.




No comments:

Post a Comment