Monday, January 10, 2011

Last day and heading back to Oxford

Visited the National Museum of Scotland.  Was quite interesting.  Primarily because of the sheer volume of artefacts dating back something like 5000-10000 years.  The fact that I was getting 'exhibit fatigue' by the time I decided I'd seen everything was interesting in itself.

Wandered back down into the new town to see if I'd missed anything.  Wanted to have a look at George St. which is supposed to be the main shopping and sightseeing part of town.  Quite impressive architecture, but I've seen so much of that in the last couple of weeks.  Ended up heading back to the hotel to sleep for the rest of the afternoon.

Took a few final photos.

  • The hotel I stayed in


  • Edinburgh Castle while there was still snow on the hill



  • Arthur's seat is the small peak to the right hand side of the hills in this one



Think the cold was finally getting the better of me.  Didn't have a very good night.

All in all I think it was a good visit.  Like the first time I visited Vancouver, I wasn't feeling very positive about the place by the time I left.  This was almost entirely due to the fact that it was late in the trip and I was tired.  Within a few weeks I was looking forward to visiting again one day, having remembered mostly the interesting things and the things I didn't get to see.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to sleep through a fair bit of the next couple of days.  I really have ended up taking the long way home, but it's actually not quite as bad as it seems when I sit down and look at the details.  I think it's actually a very good thing that I'm looking forward to getting home.  Should be a fairly good sign that the trip has served it's purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment